Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Where there were no chakkars?

Prologue: When i started this blog, i wanted to write about Chakrata. As i proceeded into it, i realised i had so much to say about road trips per se. So i will reserve this blog for the latter function and write another one, which inshallah would be a collection of experiences from most of our hilly tours.

Here it goes......
I am a nervous wreck, when it comes to driving long hours on highways. And if it involves undulating terrains, the nerve thumps 100 times faster. So when my husband proposed that we go to Chakrata, a small hill town slightly north-west of Dehradun for our second anniversay trip, i wasnt much convinced. Considering that our honeymoon trip also involved long hours of hill driving, i was not sure whether we (I, mostly) wanted to repeat the experience. Now, at this point, it is crucial to understand what comprises a "fun-trip" for the two of us. To me, its more of spending time at the destination, whether hillside, seaside or streetside. To my dear husband, the journey is the fun part. And to conclude that a trip to far off place which involves air travel will get thousand thumbs down is an easy assumption. So invariably, we are left with destinations close to Delhi which involves a road trip. Ofcourse, far off destinations are also considered for road trips but they often fall into the "no long chhuti from office" category.

My idea of celebrating an occassion, or enjoying "having fun" has more to do with the state of mind - peaceful, clutterfree and de-stressed. Now long hours of road journey not only makes me nervous, but also introduces a whole array of disastrous scenerios, panic situations and uneasy feelings in my brain - not to forget the uninvited stomach pains, which to a great extent dampens the spirit of vacation - but for me, just me. Husband on the other hand feels superbly thrilled and excited. His vacation starts the very moment he decides on a destination, and the mode to approach it. God, only if i had his nerves!!! And what i fail to understand the most is why, and WHY do we have these trips for romantic occassion (honeymoon, anniversary). Why cant we like other couples, hold hands, embark a plane, be greeted by a pretty women, get a welcome drink at the resort, lay by the poolside and click some happy moments. Why is it us who have to start at ungodly hours, drive on bumpy roads, at times no roads, be inch close to screeching trucks, tag behind buffalo carts, walk steep distances from parking to the hotel, get bitten by bed bugs (coz small hillitowns wont have 5stars na!!) and hit the pillow early because tomorrow will be another adventurous day. The whole idea of driving leaves me unenthused, to say the least. The halo of romance and love in the air goes poof!!

What I am also capable of, is, transfering my anxiety to the co-travellers. If the co-travellers happens to be driving the car, then god only bless him/her. Over time, i have learned to control my "break", "dekho", "aaaieeee", "mummyeeee", "What WAS that" and all the hindi swear words. But in spirit, they still build adrenaline inside me and mirror the horror on my face. A constantly instructing-on-driving co-traveller is the worst form of humiliation for anyone who is driving, good or bad. And i know this because i drive and i hate it too. Husband once gave me a serious warning (he is not known to be very serious so when this one came i knew he meant it) which starts scrolling in my brain as soon as i take my seat. Still, fear control hi nahi hota.
Interestingly, i consider myself a traveller (haha) and i should, by definition, be enthusiastic enough to savour any adventure which poses itself during travel. Fulfilling other aspects of travelling comes easy to me. Those around me know i am superbly organised, will have everything one can ask for during the travel, if not, i can improvise. I dont feel nausea or chakkars on winding roads. I can blabber continuously to entertain (or i feel i do). I can sing songs (pathetic though they may sound), i can dance (to my amusement) and i can offer small snacks (i am always prepared)! So basically, hardware-wise i have proper control, software-wise i fail. By software i mean whatever i explained in the first two paras which one should have which i cant muster.

But to give devil its due, and to lift my spirits at the end of any long journey up the mountains, there is always the breathtaking scenic beauty, the love of my life beside me and some surprise snow :). No choice but i have to admit i love it and i know when i say i love it, it means another hillside trip in the coming.

No comments:

Post a Comment