Sunday, March 20, 2011

UP!!

I went back to my list in the Travelator and picked up destinations which are way above the sea level. Basically this blog will account for my experiences in mountains, indian and not foreign. Common man in India, travels to mountains for 2 primary purposes. Number one, is to chill out. A feature on how to beat the heat this summer in a magazine i was reading recently, listed "hill stations" as one of the heat busters. And very interestingly wrote how, when the temperatures sore high, we wish we were born in mountains than in plains. So true. I remember, in childhood, parents used to drive us to Mussorie to save us from the heat. "Heat" during those days was not even as hot as it is now!!! Number two is pilgrimage. Why our gods have decided to station themselves in non-imaginable-non-reachable-highly-dangerous locations is something i will not question. And why, every year, millions of Indians go to these places to prove their devotion is again unarguable. I say so because i am part of this group. Devotion yes, but in my case its predominantly the curiosity to see the seat of al-mighty. Fascinates me to the core; even the myths and stories on how they (our Gods) went about accidently discovering these hideouts.

Coming back to my list - it includes category A) Jammu - Katra, Mussorie - Nainital, Kasuali, Manali, Chakrata, Ooty (its hilly, right?) ; category B) Rishikesh, Badrinath - Kedarnath - Gangotri, Neelkanth, VaishnoDevi. I will write about them in seperate articles...

No comments:

Post a Comment